When the mouth experiences a lack of saliva, chronic dry mouth occurs. For a better understanding of why this is harmful and how to combat it, read below:
– Saliva is essential for your oral health because it neutralizes acids on your teeth and washes away harmful bacteria and food particles.
– Side effects of dry mouth consist of a greater risk of tooth decay, a sore throat, issues breathing or swallowing, and difficulty chewing properly.
– If you have a dry mouth, this may be an indication of a rare autoimmune disease known as Sjogren’s syndrome, in which your body’s immune system attacks the salivary glands and other glands in the body.
– Dry mouth is a risk factor for other more serious oral health issues, such as gum disease and tooth decay.
– Dry mouth can be caused by a variety of products. For instance, it may be a side effect of a certain medication that you are taking.
Our team offers a variety of dry mouth treatments to work with all your needs. If you would like an oral exam from Dr. John Bosak, Jr., please schedule an appointment by calling 818-368-5676 to come see us at our dentist office in Granada Hills, California.